Skip to main content

2017 Best 9

When I saw this tag last year I really wanted to participate, but unfortunately I was no where close to providing 9 photos. For me, 2016 was a rough year, filled with new responsibilities, new relationships, and personal and medical issues.

For those who don't know, I ended 2016 by seeking help for crippling anxiety and some depression sprinkled on for good measure. It was a year of surviving and just getting through the day. Now, looking back, 2017 has been the year of healing.

Returning to quilting has been a big part of the healing process and learning to love my craft again. So I'm insanely happy to be able to participate in this year's best 9 of 2017!!



A good chunk of my best 9 has been for various Instagram swaps from the first half of the year. What better way to get your sewjo going again than diving into the awesome, inspiring, and supportive community of Instagram swaps?





I'm so happy for how my swapping turned out (even if some of them were a little late...)! I was even able to cross a bucket list item off by designing a paper piecing pattern! It is far from perfect but hey, I did it!



I'm also very proud of finally getting over my fear of free motion quilting! I had the pleasure of attending QuiltCon in February and taking a class on free motion quilting. There was a lot of teeth gritting and non verbal cursing going on, but I definitely wasn't the only one doing so in the class!





I took what I learned from the class, excited to start a FMQ project and.....didn't touch it for months. But then, after several practice swatches, I used FMQ to complete my classic lit mini quilt! At first all I could see were my mistakes, BUT my partner absolutely loved it and that is what really counts.



And finally, the biggest accomplishment for the year was finishing my log cabin quilt for my friend and coworker. This was a big deal for me and signified a lot. During my office end of year party, there's always a big raffle for various prizes benefiting toys for tots. I raffled off the chance to have a custom quilt made by yours truly. What ever divine intervention happened that made Dave win is more luck than I deserve. Dave and I have worked closely for over 5 years now and he is one of the most chill and relaxed individuals I know. He and his wife were SUPER patient as it took me almost a year to complete this.






This quilt represents a few milestones for me. It represents the journey to overcome my anxiety at each stage of making this quilt. My anxiety kept me frozen and prevented me from doing even simple tasks, so making a custom quilt for a friend was just TERRIFYING! But as I got better and moved further in my healing process, making this quilt got easier and easier.




By the time I was done this quilt, I was in love with it and I had fallen back in love with quilting all over again. I loved each stitch and each mistake that I knew only I could see. And the love I felt from Dave and his wife upon their receipt of the quilt was so gratifying.



At one point, I couldn't help myself, I started to point out some of the wonky bits of quilting. Dave just smiled and said "Those imperfections are what makes it home made." and that really stuck with me. It helped me remember that imperfections are okay, they're what makes you you at the end of the day.


So there you go. My best 9 of 2017. A crafty journey of recovery and healing. I am so blessed to be surrounded by loved ones and supporters who have helped me along this year and I am crazy excited to see what next year brings! I still have more healing to do, but there will be so many more quilting adventures along the way!

Comments

Most Popular Posts

My Quilty Bucket List

Last week I was over at St. Louis Folk Victorian and she started talking about Quilty Bucket Lists.   The Tilted Quilt has dedicated the Month of march to " the quilts that we all have on our lifetime to-do list...that made you say 'Some day, I want to make that quilt'."   She's hosting a blog hop over the next few weeks and having some more experienced quilters talk about their own bucket list. The whole idea of this is to build up some motivation to try and tackle at least one of your bucket list quilts this year.  And reading this first week of posts has already been an inspiration.  Hearing experienced quilters talk about how they can still, after all the time they've been behind their sewing machines, be intimidated by projects is refreshing to hear. Quilting used to be on my life long bucket list. But like with any to-do list I seem to make, crossing something off just means I've added at least 10 more other things to my list!  So without fu

New Year! First Ever Swap!

New Year! Alright, a New Year means I try this blog thing again. Life is a lot less hectic now so hopefully that will lead to more blogging! First Ever Swap! I am a part of my first ever Swap! It's the Instagram Studio Ghibli Swap hosted by Sew Scatterbrained and I am super excited! For years I've seen the bloggers I follow participate in swaps and all the lovely items they make and receive! Now I actually get to participate in one and I couldn't be more excited! I received my partners information over the weekend and have been quietly stalking her and hunting for ideas. She's a swap veteran and has therefor provided me with tons of information to go on and a super stocked Pinterest to scour over. To my partner, if you visit this blog: I'm sorry if my information was lacking! Please forgive this newbie, I hope to be able to provide you with more info over the coming days. But note I am super easy to please :) I have two ideas that are bouncing back in f

Swap Complete!

Thursday night I completed my partner's bag! As you can tell from last post I was so excited I couldn't wait for a legitimate post to show it off! It's gorgeous is it not? I am in love with how it turned out! (I am also getting better at this whole taking pictures with your phone thing.) Putting this bag together was a lot of fun and I'm super glad I did a test round.  It made me more confident about what I was doing and I got to tweak a little here and there. The second attempt at the vinyl went way better than the first attempt. This fabric is gorgeous and I hope my partner loves it as much as I do! I'm always afraid when I cut into fabric that I love, especially when I only have enough for the project at hand.  Luckily everything turned out perfectly and came together quite nicely. I love when I get a chance to work with a line of fabric because everything goes together so nicely. It is fun to pull from your fabric stash and see wha