Skip to main content

A busy week!

I have been busy this last week!

I finally dove head first right into sewing up the first of two baby quilts for my mom. And it almost feels like I literally dove right in! Fabric covered every inch of flat surface area in my apartment and by the end of the night my pants and t-shirt were covered in little bits of fabric and thread.  Wednesday night was a mad woman's night of sewing and cutting and sorting all to the background sounds of Say Anything and Pretty in Pink.  Thursday was just as busy only this time I had Breakfast Club and 16 Candles playing in the background.  I have no idea why I decided the theme to my week was 80's hits but I enjoyed it thoroughly!

I enjoyed all of this work immensely! Being able to just go peddle to the metal with a project is exhilarating and the product of my efforts has been a wonder to watch come together.  I am in love with how this quilt is coming together!

However, all of this love came to grinding halt Saturday night when I realized I needed to iron my seems open if I wanted everything go through the sewing machine neatly.  The thickness of the meeting seems made it almost impossible for the blocks to go under my foot without being pushed to the side.  This ended up throwing off my seams and made for an uneven row.

I threw the row back up onto the design wall and instead focused on making the last drawstring bag for my mom.  Sometimes it's nice having more than one project going on at once.  It enables you to step away and forget about the problem for a little bit.  Then, as you work on your other project, you can create a game plan to tackle the problem and approach it from a new direction.

So Monday night I ordered my favorite food, turned on Season 4 of Castle, and slowly worked through ironing open each seam.  That's 6 seams a block, 5 blocks to a row, and 5 rows to the quilt.  Yay 150 seems!  >_<  On the plus side, I amazingly got through all that ironing without burning myself! That is the true accomplishment here.

On tap for this week: sewing the blocks together and continue working on the border of the quilt.  Wonder what theme my Netflix viewing will have this week?

Comments

  1. I love the way this one's coming together!! :D Can't wait to see it all quilted up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts

My Quilty Bucket List

Last week I was over at St. Louis Folk Victorian and she started talking about Quilty Bucket Lists.   The Tilted Quilt has dedicated the Month of march to " the quilts that we all have on our lifetime to-do list...that made you say 'Some day, I want to make that quilt'."   She's hosting a blog hop over the next few weeks and having some more experienced quilters talk about their own bucket list. The whole idea of this is to build up some motivation to try and tackle at least one of your bucket list quilts this year.  And reading this first week of posts has already been an inspiration.  Hearing experienced quilters talk about how they can still, after all the time they've been behind their sewing machines, be intimidated by projects is refreshing to hear. Quilting used to be on my life long bucket list. But like with any to-do list I seem to make, crossing something off just means I've added at least 10 more other things to my list!  So without fu

New Year! First Ever Swap!

New Year! Alright, a New Year means I try this blog thing again. Life is a lot less hectic now so hopefully that will lead to more blogging! First Ever Swap! I am a part of my first ever Swap! It's the Instagram Studio Ghibli Swap hosted by Sew Scatterbrained and I am super excited! For years I've seen the bloggers I follow participate in swaps and all the lovely items they make and receive! Now I actually get to participate in one and I couldn't be more excited! I received my partners information over the weekend and have been quietly stalking her and hunting for ideas. She's a swap veteran and has therefor provided me with tons of information to go on and a super stocked Pinterest to scour over. To my partner, if you visit this blog: I'm sorry if my information was lacking! Please forgive this newbie, I hope to be able to provide you with more info over the coming days. But note I am super easy to please :) I have two ideas that are bouncing back in f

Swap Complete!

Thursday night I completed my partner's bag! As you can tell from last post I was so excited I couldn't wait for a legitimate post to show it off! It's gorgeous is it not? I am in love with how it turned out! (I am also getting better at this whole taking pictures with your phone thing.) Putting this bag together was a lot of fun and I'm super glad I did a test round.  It made me more confident about what I was doing and I got to tweak a little here and there. The second attempt at the vinyl went way better than the first attempt. This fabric is gorgeous and I hope my partner loves it as much as I do! I'm always afraid when I cut into fabric that I love, especially when I only have enough for the project at hand.  Luckily everything turned out perfectly and came together quite nicely. I love when I get a chance to work with a line of fabric because everything goes together so nicely. It is fun to pull from your fabric stash and see wha