Skip to main content

Light Sewing Week

This week has been pretty light on sewing but heavy on planning.

I was able to finish two of the four drawstring bags for my mom that have been sitting on my to-do list. I used the easy Lined Draw String Pouch pattern by In Color Order and made two DVD size bags. This size is available on the pdf pattern she has for sale.


I chose colors my mother would like, and focused on a polka dot look since that is her absolute favorite pattern.  These two turned out really cute and I like the brightness of the colors.  However I think I'll go with some darker colors the next two bags.  This will add some contrast to the bunch and help Mom remember which bag holds what.


For the planning part I've already decided the sort of layout I want to accomplish with each of the upcoming baby quilts.  The will be a strip diamond quilt with the help of the Missouri Star Quilt Co. Tutorial. It's an older video of theirs, but it still has their quick and easy charm.


The diamond string quilt will have strips from a Mixed Bag by Studio M Jelly Roll. I loved all the patterns in the line and the alternating white and color backgrounds.  The colored backgrounds are going to be the ones I want for this quilt, setting them against alternating white strips.


I'm most likely not going to need the entire Jelly Roll for just a baby quilt top, so I think I might play around with the left over strips to make a fun back. And to ensure that I don't create any waste blocks, I'm planning to make a few blocks at a time until I have the exact dimensions I need. It's half tempting with such an easy block to just piece everything together but I'd hate to waste any of this fun fabric!


The second will be a fun pattern I found on Pinterest that I'm super excited to try out! It'll be my first Pinterest inspired quilt since most of my quilts up to now have been inspired by the Missouri Star Quilt co. tutorials.  I'm excited to lay this one out on the design wall, and I'm hopping to make it very colorful!


To accomplish this quilt, I ordered a charm pack of Cotton Couture from Michael Miller and will be selecting the brightest colors of the bunch to go into this quilt! I'm so excited to see this one come together since this pattern has been sitting on my Pinterest board for some time.


As an update on my last post, my giftee received their gift and loved it! I'm so glad she likes it and glad it has gone to a good home!

Comments

Most Popular Posts

My Quilty Bucket List

Last week I was over at St. Louis Folk Victorian and she started talking about Quilty Bucket Lists.   The Tilted Quilt has dedicated the Month of march to " the quilts that we all have on our lifetime to-do list...that made you say 'Some day, I want to make that quilt'."   She's hosting a blog hop over the next few weeks and having some more experienced quilters talk about their own bucket list. The whole idea of this is to build up some motivation to try and tackle at least one of your bucket list quilts this year.  And reading this first week of posts has already been an inspiration.  Hearing experienced quilters talk about how they can still, after all the time they've been behind their sewing machines, be intimidated by projects is refreshing to hear. Quilting used to be on my life long bucket list. But like with any to-do list I seem to make, crossing something off just means I've added at least 10 more other things to my list!  So without fu

New Year! First Ever Swap!

New Year! Alright, a New Year means I try this blog thing again. Life is a lot less hectic now so hopefully that will lead to more blogging! First Ever Swap! I am a part of my first ever Swap! It's the Instagram Studio Ghibli Swap hosted by Sew Scatterbrained and I am super excited! For years I've seen the bloggers I follow participate in swaps and all the lovely items they make and receive! Now I actually get to participate in one and I couldn't be more excited! I received my partners information over the weekend and have been quietly stalking her and hunting for ideas. She's a swap veteran and has therefor provided me with tons of information to go on and a super stocked Pinterest to scour over. To my partner, if you visit this blog: I'm sorry if my information was lacking! Please forgive this newbie, I hope to be able to provide you with more info over the coming days. But note I am super easy to please :) I have two ideas that are bouncing back in f

Swap Complete!

Thursday night I completed my partner's bag! As you can tell from last post I was so excited I couldn't wait for a legitimate post to show it off! It's gorgeous is it not? I am in love with how it turned out! (I am also getting better at this whole taking pictures with your phone thing.) Putting this bag together was a lot of fun and I'm super glad I did a test round.  It made me more confident about what I was doing and I got to tweak a little here and there. The second attempt at the vinyl went way better than the first attempt. This fabric is gorgeous and I hope my partner loves it as much as I do! I'm always afraid when I cut into fabric that I love, especially when I only have enough for the project at hand.  Luckily everything turned out perfectly and came together quite nicely. I love when I get a chance to work with a line of fabric because everything goes together so nicely. It is fun to pull from your fabric stash and see wha